Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Fast Fire Wood Kiln



This is the fast fire wood kiln that I mentioned below. It was built without mortar, so it can me moved fairly easily. It is made entirely out of soft brick. It is a cross draught kiln with a single bourry box. The fast fire aspect of it is greatly enhanced by using a forced air firing method. I used a blower from an air condition unit in the bottom mouse holes. It produces a very single directional air flow and that was reflected in the ash deposits on the pots. The forced air turned this kiln into a little dragon and in 10 hours cone 12 was down flat. I love this little kiln.

3 comments:

Wildscaper said...

I am thinking of a forced air wood fire kiln. The idea came from looking at Lionel's flowerpot crucible furnace plan. Is there anyone out there that has used forced air and wood in a barrell?

rwhendrix said...

I like your kiln design. I am building one now kinda like it. Ive used forced air before with good results. I plan to put it into this new kiln also.

Kriss Brunngraber said...

Hi Nikki, do you have plans for this kiln. I am about to purchase an old gas kiln and would like to make a bourry box kiln about the size of yours. Any suggestions?