Saturday, February 11, 2006

^6 Soda Fired Teapot


I made this interesting teapot while at NSCAD in the summer of 2002. I love it's asymmetrical quality. This pot's unique form was made while employing the cut and paste technique. I first threw a volumous, bumpy bottomless cylinder. By treating the thin clay walls of this thrown cylinder like fabric, I was able to use a darting technique to achieve it's unique and volumous form. I especially like the feet that I added . The shadow produced below by the pot lifts it up off the surface that it sits upon. The fired surface of the pot is a stony matte texture. It was sprayed with Helmar kaolin and fired in a juicy reduction environment up to ^6. I was pleasantly surprised by the silver grey carbon trapping and soft orange flashing. This teapot pours really well.

No comments: